Pizza is a favorite meal for just about everyone. Tired of the standard pizzas with red sauce and the same-old toppings? Try this seasonal pie for something different!
This recipe for butternut squash and Swiss chard pizza is a seasonal delight! It might seem out of the ordinary — and it is — but it's amazing. The colorful squash makes this a super eye-catching dish, and it's not loaded with goopy cheese. Ricotta cheese is dolloped on top to keep things light and tasty. Use prepackaged pizza dough to simplify the meal-making process, but you could make your own dough, too. For a Meatless Monday meal, this is a seasonal pizza you'll love.
Butternut squash and Swiss chard pizza
- 1 (10 inch) prepared pizza crust
- 1-1/2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1/8 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees F.
- Toss the cubed butternut squash with one tablespoon of olive oil and the salt and pepper and cook for about 10-12 minutes. Toss halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, add one tablespoon olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until they soften.
- When the onions are soft, add the garlic, Swiss chard and a dash of salt and pepper, and cook until the Swiss chard is wilted, then remove from the heat.
- When the squash is finished cooking, turn the oven down to the cooking temperature for the pizza crust.
- Drizzle olive oil over the pizza crust and top with the Swiss chard-onion mixture, then the butternut squash and dollop with the ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with pine nuts and bake according to the pizza crust package directions.
- After baking you can drizzle a bit more olive oil over top if you like.
This is a pie for the season!
More Meatless Monday meals
Walnut, apple and cheddar pizza
Sun-dried tomato fritatta
Fried egg and grilled asparagus sandwich