Earth's Fruit Meets Earth's Grains
Beyond the health benefits of apples (remember, one a day keeps the doctor away), these amazing fruits add a welcoming kick to our favorite dishes. With more than 7,000 different types, apples effortlessly transition every taste palate into the warm and cozy fall months. We decided to combine our favorite apple-derived ingredient, applesauce, with quinoa, earth's favorite grain. The result was a perfectly moist and incredibly tasty cake — perfect to satisfy our vegan taste buds this fall.
Vegan apple quinoa cake
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup uncooked organic quinoa
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground sea salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Honey to drizzle
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Carefully clean your quinoa and then put to cook on stove (this should take 15-20 minutes). Not sure how to cook quinoa? SheKnows has you covered.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and oil and lightly dust 8 x 1-1/4-inch pie pan with flour (prevents sticking).
- In a medium to large bowl, combine and mix together the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking flour and sea salt.
- In a separate medium to large bowl, combine and mix together all other ingredients: cooked quinoa, almond extract, vanilla extract, applesauce and agave nectar.
- Combine both bowls of ingredients and mix together
- Once well mixed, put into your pie pan and smooth out.
- Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, carefully let cake slip out of pan and onto large plate. Once on that plate, gently flip right-side-up onto serving plate.
- Start to decorate your cake by dusting confectioners sugar evenly over your cake. Then drizzle with honey (as much as your wish) and top with your almonds.
More fall-inspired recipes
Healthy fall desserts
Top 8 fall-friendly recipes
Warm and spicy fall cocktails