A Dish Full Of
Who says you have to eat corn on the cob? In this recipe, we take fresh corn kernels and transform them into corn cakes, then top them off with a homemade avocado salsa.
Fresh corn cakes with avocado salsa recipe
Inspired by Southern Kitchen by Sara Foster
Makes 10-12 large corn cakes
- 3 cups fresh raw corn kernels (you can substitute sweet canned corn)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sea salt and ground pepper to season, about 1/4 teaspoon each
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a food processor add one and one-half cups of the fresh corn kernels and pulse several times until the corn is just slightly pureed.
- In a large mixing bowl add the corn puree, the remaining corn kernels, flour, cornmeal, onion, fresh basil, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper, jalapeños and cheese (if using) and mix well. Add in the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter, mixing gently just enough to combine the ingredients as you do not want to overmix the batter.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add just enough canola oil to lightly coat the bottom. Add the batter, about one heaping tablespoon at a time, into the the hot pan.
- Cook the cakes in batches of four to five and avoid overcrowding so they cook evenly. Fry two to three minutes on each side or until nice and golden brown.
- Serve warm topped with the avocado salsa.
Avocado salsa recipe
Yields about 2 cups
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, mined
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl except the avocado and toss gently.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Right before serving add in the avocado and mix well. Serve immediately.
More corn recipes
Corn and feta phyllo pouches
Homemade corn dogs
Sweet and spicy corn salsa