Turn Macaroni Into A Kid-Loving Pastry
There's nothing better than macaroni and cheese. The thick, gooey goodness is not only warm and inviting, it's a favorite among kids. So how could this amazing comfort food get any better? Make it into a pie!
Mac and cheese is one of the best comfort foods out there. It brings smiles to everyone's faces no matter how old they are because of its rich, cheesy, gooey goodness. And with so many different combinations, it's possible to never have the same kind twice. You could have a spicy cheddar version in a ramekin, or you could have the kiddie version that's made with American cheese. Both are delicious and a perfect answer to those chilly evenings. But if you're tired of the same old mac and cheese in a bowl, why not change things up a bit and turn that comfort food into another favorite — a pie. It's super easy and adds another buttery layer to an already delicious meal.
- 1 (12 inch) pie crust
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ear corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line the pastry shell with foil and bake for eight minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees F.
- While the pie crust bakes, cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Cook the pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a paper towel to drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in the same skillet you used for the pancetta. Whisk in the flour and mustard and cook for two minutes. Whisk in the milk and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thick and bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cheese until melted.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat. Fold the macaroni, pancetta and corn into the cheese mixture. Spoon the macaroni mixture into the prepared pie shell.
- Mix together the panko and Parmesan until well combined and sprinkle over the top of the pie.
- Bake the pie for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Slice and serve immediately.
Other pie recipes
Arizona breakfast pie