In A Cake
Wondering what to do with all your zucchini? Make a cake! Zucchini-almond cake with cream cheese frosting is rich and delicious and makes a lovely dessert for a special dinner.
Delight in zucchini
This recipe is similar in consistency to a zucchini muffin or bread, but it is thin and doesn't rise as high. While you might not think a zucchini-type bread or cake would make a rich dessert, this one certainly does. The cake itself isn't too sweet, but you'd never notice with the thick and decadent cream cheese frosting on top!
Something to try
You might consider swapping out half the zucchini for shredded carrot to reach a taste similar to carrot cake. It might take a bit of experimenting, but the results could yield a more versatile recipe.
Zucchini-almond cake with cream cheese frosting
For the cake
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
- 1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini
- 1-3/4 cups almond meal
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch springform or tart pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the eggs, honey, vanilla, baking soda, salt and mix well with an electric beater.
- A little at a time, add the almond meal.
- When all the ingredients are mixed together, gradually mix in the zucchini with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into your pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- As the cake cools, use a small bowl to combine all the ingredients for the frosting. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- When the cake has cooled completely, top it with the frosting and serve.
Who knew you could make cake with ingredients fresh from the garden!
More Gluten-free Goodies to try
Lemon meringue pie
Fresh mango, coconut and lime ice cream
Chocolate mousse with raspberries and cream