A Simple Salad Packed With Flavor
Vegetables are always better when they're fresh instead of frozen. But they're even tastier when cooked up on the grill.
During these warm summer months salads are a cool delicious answer to "what's for dinner." Ideally, there will be no cooking involved, just some raw, fresh veggies chopped up and tossed together for an out-of-this-world entree. But if you believe that dinner isn't dinner unless it's cooked, take the cooking outside and grill. The grill brightens up the flavor of vegetables to make that salad even more amazing. You could even add some steak or chicken while you're at it and have a grilled salad that will bring smiles to everyone's faces.
Grilled asparagus and steak salad
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Chinese mustard
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the pepper, coriander and fennel seeds all in a small bowl.
- Coat the steak with one tablespoon of olive oil. Then sprinkle the pepper mixture over the steak and set aside for one hour. Coat the asparagus with the remaining oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill the steak until nice grill marks appear, about five minutes per side. Transfer steak to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest. While the steak rests, place the asparagus on the grill and cook until tender, about five minutes.
- While the steak and asparagus cook, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the broth, soy sauce, remaining oil, vinegar, ginger, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Arrange the spinach, mango, asparagus, steak and onion on a platter. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.
Other asparagus recipes
Amazing asparagus and chicken casserole
Asparagus soup with prosciutto