Quinoa is a great meal option, and you can serve it hot or cold. Although it's a grain, it is gluten-free. Add some spices to your life! This recipe for chicken and curried quinoa salad is slightly exotic and totally tasty.
Quinoa is a great grain for those who live a gluten-free lifestyle. Quinoa is actually an ancient grain that’s been grown in South America for thousands of years. It's high in fiber and an excellent protein source. Use it as a side dish, to stuff peppers or in salads. Serve this dish with a side salad, and you’re good to go!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Chicken and curried quinoa salad
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper to season chicken
- 1/4 cup rough chopped salted cashews
- Season your chicken with one-quarter teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cut into one-inch pieces.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about five to seven minutes, or the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on a food thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth, quinoa, coconut milk, curry powder, ginger, tumeric and salt to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic during the last three minutes or so of cooking.
- Remove from heat and to serve warm, add the chicken, mix well and serve. Garnish with the cashew pieces.
- To serve cold, remove the quinoa from the heat when finished, and bring to room temperature.
- Combine the chicken with the quinoa, mix well and chill for about an hour. Serve on individual plates and garnish with the chopped cashews.
Great grains mixed with aromatic seasonings make for a great meal.
More gluten-free recipes to try
Breakfast bagels with mascarpone, apples, blueberries and honey
Flatbread with rosemary and sea salt
Change up your chicken soup