A Healthy Option For A Meatless Family Meal
Tired of spending a fortune on premade veggie burgers at the store? These veggie burgers are loaded with flavor and super easy to make.
Who doesn't love a big juicy burger? I know I do! Even though we live a mostly vegan lifestyle in our home, burgers are never out of the question. While having prepackaged veggie burgers is great when you are in a rush, this recipe is a wonderful guide for getting creative and making your own at home.
Homemade veggie burgers with spicy avocado spread and onion rings recipe
Yields 4 burgers
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 sweet onion, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup homemade breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs (you may omit the egg and substitute an egg replacer such as energy-y and follow the directions on the box)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce (depending on your taste)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- Grilled pineapple rings, red onion, arugula, tomato and cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl mash the chickpeas until they are somewhat smooth. Add in all of the remaining ingredients for the burger mixture and mix very well. Chill the mix for about one to two hours to let the flavors meld.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Form the mix into four patties. Spray the pan with cooking spray or olive oil and pan fry the patties on each side for four to six minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the cooked patty on a bun, top with spicy avocado spread and, if desired, add grilled pineapple slices, arugula, onion, tomato and/or cheese.
Spicy avocado spread recipe
Yields 4 servings
- 2 Hass avocados, peeled and lightly mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix well. Chill until ready to use.
Baked onion rings recipe
Yields 4 servings
- Cooking spray
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and spray a baking sheet slightly with cooking spray or olive oil and set aside.
- In a large shallow dish add the Italian breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder salt and pepper mixing well to combine and in a separate shallow dish add the buttermilk.
- A small handful at a time add several onion ring slices to the buttermilk coating well then tossing into the breadcrumb mixture. You can also double coat the onion rings so that a thicker coating forms on the onion rings while baking.
- Once all of the onion rings are coated spread them evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from heat and add extra salt and serve immediately.
More meatless ideas
Vegetarian meatballs with pesto cream sauce
Zucchini ribbons and raisins pizza
Cold sesame noodle peanut salad