Nothing Beats Biscuits Swimming In Gravy
Biscuits are usually reserved for fancy dinners or fast food breakfasts. But they're just as delicious soaked in gravy for a weeknight dinner.
Sometimes you just need a slice of bread or a roll to eat with your chicken dinner. It just makes the meal complete. And the best type of bread is a biscuit that's soaked in the gravy the chicken was cooked in. I always considered chicken and biscuits a winter meal, but this comfort food is yummy all year-round. And with so many delicious fresh vegetables, especially rainbow carrots, available at the farmers market now, it's actually a perfect choice for a summer family meal.
Chicken and biscuits
- 1 package biscuit mix
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- Make the biscuits according to package directions and set aside.
- While the biscuits are cooking, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel, reserving the oil and bacon grease in the pot.
- Remove the skin from the chicken legs and breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the pot and brown on all sides over medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the carrots, celery and onion until tender, about four minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute. Add the chicken stock and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up all the browned bits from the pan and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the chicken and bacon back into the pot. Pour in the remaining chicken stock, cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes. Uncover the pot and cook for another 15 to 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is fully cooked. Ladle the chicken and sauce over the biscuits and serve.
Other biscuit recipes
Blackberry & lemon breakfast biscuits
Pull apart cinnamon biscuits