Do It Yourself
No need to spend tons of money on specialty food products. You can do it at home for a fraction of the cost!
Homemade cake flour recipe
Is your pantry busting at the seems? Do you have a million boxes and bags of half-used kitchen products? Making your own can be cost effective, easy and will take up almost no room! Why buy a big bag of cake flour when you can make your own out of two pantry staples?
Yields 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Remove two tablespoons of all-purpose flour from the cup and sift in two tablespoons cornstarch.
- Sift several times until completely sifted together.
Homemade vegetable cleaner
Have you ever come home and taken a close look at your vegetables? They can be covered in pesticides, wax and even dirt! No one wants to ingest all of that! This simple (and cost effective!) vegetable cleaner will make your vegetables sparkly clean and ready to eat!
Yields one use
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granular salt
- Fill your sink with cold water and add in vinegar and salt.
- Add fruit and let sit for at least 30 minutes but no more than an hour.
- You want to make sure to only soak thick-skinned fruits and vegetables (carrots, apples, turnips, etc.)
Homemade buttermilk recipe
Have you ever been in the middle of making pancakes or muffins and realized you are out of buttermilk? There is no need to rush to the store; you can make your own!
Yields one cup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
- In a glass measuring cup, add milk and white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Let sit for five minutes until thick and looks like buttermilk.
More homemade money saving items
Homemade flavored coffee creamer
Homemade cherry liquor
Homemade ranch dressing