Make mealtime fun
This dish offers a little of everything that everyone in the family will enjoy. Steak, salmon and fresh vegetables are a great combination! Get the whole family involved by helping to thread the ingredients on the skewers.
Pick your meal
If you plan a bit ahead of schedule, take the family on a trip to the farmers' market to choose the vegetables you'll use for this recipe. Zucchini, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers work really well! Local Harvest can help you locate a farmers' market near you. Just enter your ZIP code and you'll find a listing of locations near you.
Land and sea kabobs
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound salmon fillets cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds, then halved
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Juice one lemon and use half the zest, and add it to a large, sealable plastic bag, along with one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add the salmon pieces to the bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, one teaspoon salt, and one teaspoon ground black pepper to a large, sealable plastic bag. Add the steak pieces to the bag and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When the steak and salmon are finished marinating, thread the steak on two skewers, and the salmon on two skewers.
- Add the olive oil and remaining lemon zest to a bowl and add the vegetables. Toss to coat. Add the veggies to two skewers and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the salmon and steak over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning as you go, until they are done.
- The vegetables will take less time to cook. Put on the grill for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to turn color and char slightly.
- Remove all ingredients from the skewers and serve some of each along with brown rice.
A little of this and a little of that makes a great meal!
More Sunday dinner recipes to try
Pork carnitas tacos
Blue cheese BLT wraps
Roasted corn, black bean and avocado quesadillas