Who Needs The Ice Cream Man?
Why wait for the ice cream man’s telltale jingle? Take matters into your own hands and make homemade choco tacos. This frozen treat is always a summer favorite and now you can have them anytime you want.
Everyone loves tacos, but what makes tacos even better? Chocolate! You might remember this dessert from your summer visits to the ice cream man, but this homemade version of choco tacos is even better. Change things up a bit with different flavors of ice cream or, to really pull out all the stops, use homemade ice cream.
Homemade choco tacos
- Waffle cone taco shells (see recipe below)
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Chopped peanuts
- Chocolate syrup
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a bowl just big enough to dip the taco shells in, microwave enough chocolate chips so the top third of the shell will get coated when dipped.
- Spread chopped peanuts onto a plate.
- Dip the taco shells upside down into the melted chocolate, rocking back and forth to evenly coat. Using your finger, spread the chocolate down the shell slightly on the inside and outside.
- Immediately press each side of shell into chopped peanuts. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- When chocolate is set, remove vanilla ice cream from the freezer and let soften so that it can be easily spooned into the taco shells.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup into the bottom on the taco shell, then fill shells carefully with ice cream. Top ice cream with chopped nuts.
- Put choco tacos in the freezer to let ice cream refreeze.
Waffle cone taco shells
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- waffle cone maker
- thin wooden rolling pin
- In a bowl, beat eggs and salt together. Add sugar and whisk until mixture is pale yellow. Stir in flour and whisk until no lumps remain, then add melted butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- Heat the waffle cone maker according to manufacturer's directions. When ready, pour about one tablespoon of batter onto the hot plate of the waffle cone maker and close the lid. Cook cone for about one minute, until slightly brown.
- Remove cone from waffle cone maker and immediately wrap around the rolling pin, holding each side against the pin in the shape of a taco, pressing the bottom down on the counter to form a base. Once crisp, slide the rolling pin out of the taco shell.
- If not using taco shells immediately, let cool and store in a sealed plastic bag.
More ice cream treats
Vegan cake batter ice cream
Ice cream cupcakes
Chocolate cookie and salted caramel ice cream sandwiches