All you need to do is add dessert, although these Jell-O shots just might fill the bill for the adults.
Stars and stripes berry vodka Jell-O shots
- 3 ounces berry blue Jell-O
- 6 ounces blueberry vodka
- 1 package plain gelatin
- 2-1/2 ounces raspberry vodka
- 3 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3 ounces strawberry Jell-O
- 6 ounces strawberry vodka
- Boiling water
- Cooking spray
- Heat six ounces water to boiling. Pour boiling water into a bowl with blue Jell-O and whisk until dissolved. Whisk in blueberry vodka.
- Pour into an 8 x 8-inch glass pan and refrigerate until solid.
- Once the blue layer is solid, sprinkle package of plain gelatin over five ounces of water in a small saucepan. Let sit for a few minutes, then turn on low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk until incorporated. Remove from heat. Whisk in raspberry vodka.
- Pour mixture over the blue layer and return immediately to the refrigerator. Refrigerate until solid.
- Once the white layer is solid, heat six ounces water to boiling. Pour boiling water into a bowl with strawberry Jell-O and whisk until dissolved. Whisk in strawberry vodka.
- Pour mixture over the white layer and return immediately to the refrigerator. Refrigerate until solid.
- When Jell-O is completely set, sit bottom of pan in a small amount of hot water for one to two minutes to loosen. Run a knife around the edges of the Jell-O and turn over onto a large sheet pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the star-shaped cutter in hot water, then cut out shapes. (Alternatively, use a sharp knife to cut into blocks or other shapes.)
Shooting star melon skewers with yogurt dipping sauce
- Watermelon slices
- Honeydew melon slices
- Cantaloupe slices
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Using a star-shaped cutter, cut out stars of melon. Thread onto skewers.
For dipping sauce:
- Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Serve with melon skewers
Star-spangled club sandwich skewers
- Toasted bread
- Cherry tomatoes
- Romaine lettuce
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Turkey lunchmeat slices
- Cooked bacon strips
- Spicy brown mustard
- Cut star shapes out of bread, cheeses and lunchmeat using a star-shaped cutter. Cut each strip of bacon into about 3 pieces.
- Thread ingredients onto skewer. (Suggested layers: Tomato, lettuce, bread, bacon, lunchmeat, cheeses, bread, lettuce, tomato, lettuce, bread, cheeses, lunchmeat, bacon, bread, lettuce, tomato.)
- Make a dipping sauce for the sandwiches by combining two parts mayonnaise and one part spicy brown mustard.
Pineapple and berry white wine cocktail
- 6 ounces sauvignon blanc
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce pineapple rum
- 2 lemon wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon red decorating sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon blue decorating sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pineapple stars (or chunks)
- On a small plate, combine all three sugars. Run a lemon wedge along the rim of a glass, then dip rim into sugar. Carefully fill glass with ice.
- Pour sauvignon blanc, pineapple juice and rum into the glass. Squeeze remaining lemon wedge into cocktail and stir to combine.
- Add raspberries, blueberries and pineapple.
- Note: The fruit will soak up the cocktail flavors, so be sure to eat it up when your drink is gone.
More food for Fourth of July
Flag lasagna recipe
Firecracker cakelette recipe
A patriotic summer fruit tart recipe