Cute, Easy Festive
Pops For The 4th
If you're in need of a delicious, easy and patriotic dessert for your 4th of July picnic or pool party, these cake pops are calling your name! Made from boxed cake mix and frosting, these are a cinch to make and prepare! Plus, you can really get creative with decorating them and it makes a great activity for you and your kids. Oh, and clean up is a breeze since these little pops are served on sticks!
Many people have the misconception that cake pops are hard to make or take a ton of time, which couldn't be further from the truth! All you need is boxed cake mix, frosting, white chocolate chips and decorations! Easy, fun and oh so patriotic, these cake pops will definitely make a stir at your Fourth of July festivities!
4th of July cake pops
Recipe adapted from Little Miss Momma
Yields about 35 cake pops
- 1 box of Funfetti white cake mix
- 1 container of white frosting
- 1 bag of white chocolate chips (or candy melts)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or shortening
- Red and white icing gel pens
- Wilton lollipop sticks
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Let cool completely before you handle.
- Once cake has cooled, place in a large mixing bowl. Add frosting and mash the mixture together with your hands until it's moist and pliable. Roll the cake into one large ball.
- Then, carefully take a piece of cake and roll into a one-inch cake ball. Repeat until all of the cake has been used and rolled into little balls. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate by mixing it with butter or shortening in a large microwave-safe dish. Heat for about two minutes, stopping at 30 seconds to stir. Be sure to stop heating once all the chocolate is melted so you don't burn it. Add additional butter or shortening to thin out if necessary.
- Dip each cake pop stick (lollipop stick) into the white chocolate about one-half inch in. Carefully place the white chocolate covered end of the stick into the cake ball and let sit upright so it dries and hardens. Repeat until all of the cake pops have sticks. Let dry so the chocolate hardens, keeping the stick firmly into the cake pop.
- Once cake pops have dried, dip the rest of the ball into the melted chocolate until the rest of the cake is covered. Carefully shake the balls so the excess chocolate drips off. Place in a Styrofoam holder so the chocolate can harden on the cake pop. Repeat until all cake pops have dried.
- Once chocolate has dried, decorate your cake pops with little stars, strips or festive sprinkles to make them Fourth of July oriented! To create the little flags shown above, add a dab of icing gel to the back of about four to six blue stars. Carefully place them on the upper left side of the cake pop. Then, create about five stripes coming from the stars (like a flag). Let dry. then enjoy!
More 4th of July dessert recipes
Fourth of July firecracker cakelette recipe
4th of July: Independence Day desserts
Easy American flag cake recipe