Avocado is perfect paired with citrus, grilled chicken and candied pecans in this delicious Cobb salad.
Despite a bad rap for being high in fat, the avocado is one of the top 10 most heart-healthy fruits. The oleic acid in avocados has been found to lower your risk of breast cancer and prevent heart disease, while the lutein helps protect against eye cataracts and macular degeneration.
And although they are high in fat, avocados are high in the right kind of fat — the kind that helps lower blood cholesterol. They're also high in vitamins E, C and B6, folate, iron, magnesium and potassium. If that weren't enough to convince you the avocado is pretty nifty, we're sure this avocado and citrus salad will.
Avocado and citrus Cobb salad with candied pecans recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, segments diced, juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 1 cup diced grilled chicken
- In a small nonstick skillet, toss together sugar and pecans over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar has melted and pecans are sticky. Transfer pecans to a parchment-lined plate to cool.
- Reserve half of the diced grapefruit. Squeeze remaining diced grapefruit over a medium bowl to catch the juice — discard solids. Whisk in additional reserved juice, oil, garlic, honey and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- On a large platter, arrange remaining ingredients in rows, side by side. Pour citrus dressing over salad and top with candied pecans. Serve chilled.
It's been said that the Cobb salad got its name originally from all of the ingredients being lined up in neat rows, much like corn on the cob. But to get your Cobb salad looking as spiffy as the one in the restaurant that made it famous, you'll need to practice those knife skills. Check out our SheKnows.com tutorial on how to dice any vegetable with ease and precision.
More salad ideas
Farm stand chicken salad recipe
5 Summer slim-down salad recipes
Watermelon and red onion summer salad recipe