These juicy citrus barbecue chicken sliders use rotisserie chicken, making this a quick, easy and crowd-pleasing meal. Serve these alongside the homestyle coleslaw for a delicious meal.
These cute little chicken sliders are a breeze to whip up. Using a prepared rotisserie chicken from your local grocer and bottled barbecue sauce that you've added your own twist to, these babies will be on the table just in time to fill those hungry tummies. Serve with the homestyle coleslaw for a great summer lunch or dinner while hanging out poolside.
Citrus barbecue chicken sliders recipe
Yields 8-10 sliders
- 2 roasted chicken breasts, shredded (a rotisserie chicken would be an ideal timesaver for this recipe)
- 1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 package of Hawaiian rolls
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice,
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- Brown sugar
- In a medium-sized saucepan combine the barbecue sauce, orange zest, orange juice and the lemon or the lime juice. Bring to a light simmer. Taste the sauce to see if it needs any brown sugar due to the sourness the citrus juices may add. You can feel free to add any additional seasonings or flavors to your sauce. One the sauce comes to a simmer place the lid on the pot and turn the heat off. (This will keep your sauce warm until serving.)
- In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken and half of the barbecue sauce. Mix the chicken well so that all of it is coated evenly in the sauce.
- To assemble the sliders, cut each of the Hawaiian rolls in half. Place a heaping spoonful of the shredded barbecue chicken on bottom half of the roll, then add the top of the roll. Repeat with remaining sliders.
- Serve warm with extra barbecue sauce on the side.
Homestyle coleslaw recipe
Yields 10-12 servings
- 2 (16 ounce) bags coleslaw mix
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a very large mixing bowl add the coleslaw mix. In a separate bowl mix together the light mayonnaise, olive oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss very well. Chill for several hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve along with citrus barbecue chicken sliders.
More barbaque recipes
Honey barbecue baked beans with applewood smoked bacon
Skinny girl barbecue
Barbecue bean salad