July 4th is a holiday for all ages, old and young, to enjoy. With all of the barbecues, pool parties and fireworks, it hardly leaves time to make desserts. These little bite-sized desserts pack big-time flavor and taste as if they took all day to prepare. Quick, easy and festive, these are the ideal sweet treats to celebrate with.
Bite-sized red white and blue layer cakes recipe
Yields 1 dozen mini layer cake bites
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 bottle red food coloring
- 1 bottle blue coloring
- 2 containers white frosting
- 10 to 12 small jars with lids, washed and dried
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Mini cupcake pan
- Mini cupcake liners
- Prepare the cake batter as directed on the box. Once the batter is mixed, separate the batter into two separate bowls trying to get equal amounts of the batter into each bowl.
- In one bowl add the red food coloring and in the second bowl add the blue. Each brand of food coloring seems to vary as far as coloring so use the amount of food coloring you feel necessary to achieve the desired shades of red and blue.
- Once both batters are colored, line the mini cupcake pan with the mini cupcake liners and fill with the two cake batters (make solid color cakes, do not mix the colors) and bake as directed on the package. (Try to bake equal parts of both red and blue mini cupcakes.)
- Once the cupcakes are done baking set on the counter and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool remove the cupcakes from the pan and remove the cup cake liner. Slice each cupcake in half (so you have a top and a bottom). Do this for the all of the remaining cupcake
- On a large serving plate place the bottom of one of the red cupcakes. Add frosting then adding the top of the cupcake. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
- Garnish with extra frosting and red white and blue sprinkles and serve.
Patriotic dipped strawberries recipe
Yields 12-15 strawberries, depending on the amount of berries per pint
- 1 pint of organic strawberries, washed and dried
- 1 package of white chocolate chips or white chocolate candy coating
- Blue sanding sugar or blue sprinkles
- 1 large cookie sheet lined with wax paper
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate as directed on the package. (Sometimes it is necessary to stir halfway to get all of the chocolate melted.)
- In a bowl add the blue sanding sugar or blue sprinkles.
- Hold the strawberry by the stem and gently dip it into the melted white chocolate. (Let any extra chocolate drip off of the strawberry to avoid clumping) then dip the strawberry into the sanding sugar or blue sprinkles.
- Place the strawberry on the wax paper to allow to dry. Repeat with remaining strawberries. Keep the strawberries in the refrigerator until ready to be served.
Red, white and blueberry mini triffle recipe
Yields 10-12 servings
- 1 store-bought angelfood cake
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 pint strawberries, washed and dried
- Whipped cream
- 10-12 small clear plastic cups
- In a large bowl crumble the angelfood cake. (You may also cut the cake into very small cubes.)
- In one of the plastic cups add some of the crumbled (or cubed) angelfood cake, then add blueberries, more cake and then strawberries. Repeat with the rest of the rest of the cake and berries.
- Top each triffle off with whipped cream and garnish with extra berries.
More 4th of july desserts
Fourth of July firecracker cakelette
Summer layered drink
Firecracker cupcakes in a jar