These fun red, white and blue cupcakes are perfect for the Fourth of July.
Cupcakes are the perfect Fourth of July cookout treat. They are portable, delicious and these little gems are even colorful. We colored them red, white and blue to celebrate Fourth of July but just think of all the colors you could do. This recipe is perfect for almost any holiday. The best dye to use for the cupcakes is one that is specifically labled for "no taste" as this will help eliminate that "food dye" taste from your cupcakes.
Red, white and blue cupcakes
Yields 24 cupcakes
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- Red gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- White gel food coloring
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions. Split batter into three bowls. Color one bowl with red coloring, one with blue coloring and one with white coloring. If you use a white cake mix you may not need to use the white dye.
- Add one tablespoon of each color to a paper-lined cupcake pan.
- Bake according to box directions.
- Let cool on baking rack. When completely cool frost and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Add all ingredients to stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Add to piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes.
More cupcake recipes
Dark chocolate Guinness cupcake recipe
Blueberry lemon beer cupcake recipe
Mint chocolate cupcake recipe