Adorable Treats That Taste Like Summertime
There's nothing more refreshing than a glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. Instead of drinking your favorite sweet beverage after a day of sweating in the sun, try eating it instead. These bite size, lemon and strawberry flavored treats are not only adorable, they are delicious and taste just like a glass of lemonade.
These make the perfect addition to an outdoor summer wedding's dessert bar, a kid's birthday party or just as a lazy Sunday-by-the-pool treat. Made with fresh fruit and not that goop that comes out of a can, you can also rest assured that your treat is full of only the best ingredients. So put down that straw and grab one of these cupcakes the next time a lemonade craving hits.
Mini strawberry lemonade cupcakes
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Eats
Yields 24 mini cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from 2 lemons
- Dash of salt
For the frosting:
- 1-1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon zest (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a mini cupcake pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs with a hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until fully combined. Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour to the wet mixture, interchanging with the milk (and ending with the flour). Once mixture is fully combined, carefully pour batter into the cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting by beating strawberries, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar together with a hand-held mixer until smooth. Add in lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until you're happy with the taste.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost and garnish with lemon zest and a cute pink straw. Enjoy!
More summer dessert recipes
7 Healthy summer desserts
Simple summer desserts from Sandra Lee
Cool summer desserts