A sugary science experiment
Rock candy

DIY rock candy

Do you remember the sugary, crystallized candy from your youth, also known as rock candy? With just three ingredients, you are on your way to making your very own version at home. Grab the kids, this recipe is part science experiment, part tasty treat.

Whether you just want a fun summer activity, some homemade candy or perhaps you need favors for a wedding, party or event, this recipe for rock candy will fit the bill.

With only a few ingredients, an easy preparation and a little patience, you'll have your very own rock candy to enjoy regardless of the reason.

Keep in mind that the results may vary just like any other experiment. Your crystals may be smaller or larger, may take longer to form or may not work at all. Luckily another batch is just a few minutes away. Keep trying until you perfect your technique.

Yields 2

Ingredients:

• 1 cup water
  • 2 to 3 cups white sugar
  • Food coloring

Other supplies needed:

• Wooden skewers
  • Clothespins
  • Champagne flutes
  • Stockpot

Supplies needed

Step one

Bring water to boil and start adding sugar, one-quarter cup at a time, until it no longer dissolves. The more you add, the longer it will take to dissolve. Be patient and try to get as much to dissolve as possible. Clasp a skewer with a clothespin and dip it in the liquid and then dip it in plain sugar. Place the stick in the Champagne flute to dry. Remove the liquid from heat and let cool completely.

Step 1

Step two

Fill the glasses with liquid. Using the recipe above, you'll be able to fill two Champagne flutes. Add a few drops of food coloring to each glass. The more color you add, the more saturated the colors will be, and you'll likely need more than you think.The skewer should be in the center of the glass and not touching the sides or bottom of the glass.

Step 2

Step three

Wait patiently. It will take about three days for crystals to form and about seven days to be large enough to enjoy. You'll notice the sugar will start crystallizing on the top and bottom of the glass as well. You'll be able to watch the progess as the crystals grow.

Step 3

Step four

When you are ready to remove them, gently break the top with a butter knife or other sharp object. Gently remove the skewer and hang it upside down until the excess liquid drips off and it dries. You can pour out the liquid from the glass and use the glass to hang the skewer and catch the excess liquid.

Step 4

Step five

Once it is dry, it's ready to eat! Wrap them up in cellophane bags to serve at parties, use them as drink stirrers, or just eat them up! You can also add sprinkles while the candy is still wet for a festive look.

Rock candy

More candy recipes

Candy martini recipes
Homemade milk chocolate heart candy
How to make gummi candies

Comments

Comments on "DIY Rock candy recipe"

Summer February 18, 2014 | 8:29 AM

I made this for my daycare kids.. using 10 cups of water & 20 sugar. *gulp!* I have about half the pot of sugar water left over. What can I do with it? Will it keep so we can do this again in a few weeks?

Random Guy January 15, 2014 | 12:24 PM

This recipe make it seem like it only tastes like sugar. How would you add actual flavors and still get the crystal look to it?

Chops January 14, 2014 | 11:28 PM

Do u have to use Champagne flutes? Will it work with plastic cups? Don't want to buy flutes for just this one time use.

Janey January 07, 2014 | 11:39 AM

" Place the stick in the Champagne flute to dry. " This is IMPORTANT. Don't skip this step. The stick must be completely dry before putting it into the sugar solution.

Alicia December 23, 2013 | 8:45 AM

Hi Naftalie - you'll have excess sugar regardless of whether you use a pot or a glass. I am not sure a pot would work as I have never tried that method but it could be worth a try!

naftalie December 18, 2013 | 12:57 PM

What happen with the sugar leftover in the glass? Is there any way to make many rock candy with one Stockpot? I mean what if instead of many glasses, i will pour it into one big glass pot and put some skewer in if together.. is it possible ? So i will have more rock candy and wasting less sugar?

anonymous November 14, 2013 | 11:03 AM

@bobbi It does turn into crystals. You just have to break the top and THEN take the skewer out.

Brandi October 03, 2013 | 11:29 PM

I make rock candy but have never tried it this way, I'm hoping the favors I use when I make it in a pan or forms (Lorain Oils) will work on this,if it does I know the ladies at work will love it

Sanne June 20, 2013 | 8:15 AM

I reallylove this, they are cooling down at the moment, but how can I get those glasses clean again?

bobbi December 22, 2012 | 8:14 PM

Not sure if my fiance and I did something wrong, but for christmas we decided to make rock candy, for some reason the entire mixture turned into the crystals. I pulled out the skewers and the sugar crumbled right off... should there have been less sugar used... We added all three cups, and it just seems like there is too much water, I'm not sure.

Josh August 16, 2012 | 8:00 AM

Yes, easy to flavor. Just add a bit of liquid flavoring of your liking (I have used lemon juice, lime, raspberry, strawberry, etc). If your using something like raspberry or strawberry, make sure you boil the fruits down to a fine liquid.

Esyam July 13, 2012 | 11:08 PM

I didn't take time to do it myself But I had a very fresh Champaign btltoe in the fridge As I know you can't drink on that moment I take a glass for you (& bb) Sante9!!

Dunia July 11, 2012 | 3:01 AM

You can find several on the American Diabetes Association web site. I've looekd at a couple and there are some recipes that look pretty good. The recipes include carb counts, food exchanges, calorie counts, and a whole lot more. You can also find them at Borders or Barnes and Noble look in the health care section.

Laura June 24, 2012 | 9:47 AM

Is there a way to flavour it?

Yi-Fan June 19, 2012 | 10:06 AM

What an amazing treat to do it yourself. The candy just looks so beautiful that I don't wanna est it.

Brandi June 14, 2012 | 6:56 PM