But because we don't actually want to kill anyone, and we are convinced Prince Charming will not be coming to our rescue, we decided to make cupcakes. Much like Snow White's famed apple, the adorable exterior is deceiving because these delicious cupcakes are downright sinful. Invite your seven favorite friends and start snacking. If you're anything like Snow White, they'll clean up the mess at the end. We're convinced that these will taste even better if you break out in song while you make them. Who knows — you may just attract your prince.
Devil's food cake cupcake recipe
Yields 24 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup espresso (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, cake flour, kosher salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or standing mixer bowl, add unsalted butter and dark brown sugar. Combine until fluffy and creamed, about three to five minutes. Once creamed, add in eggs one at a time, making sure to scrape down edges so everything is getting thoroughly combined.
- Combine room temperature espresso and buttermilk.
- Add one-half of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, gently mix on low to combine. Add in espresso/buttermilk mixture and the rest of the flour mixture. Mix on low to combine.
- Once mixture is combined, fill lined cupcake pan (use red liners if you can find them) two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes until a tested toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let cool in muffin pans for five minutes and then cool on baking rack.
- Frost cupcakes with apple red frosting.
Apple red frosting recipe
Yields 1 cup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Add all ingredients to bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed till fluffy. If the color is not dark enough, add a few more drops of red food coloring and stir.
- 4 ounces marzipan
- Brown gel food coloring
- Red decorating sugar
- Fresh mint leaves
- Wearing gloves, mix together by hand marzipan and brown gel food coloring. Divide into 24 pieces and roll into apple-stem-like pieces.
- Take frosted cupcake and sprinkle with red decorating sugar. Add stem and put two smaller mint leaves alongside.
More fun cupcake recipes
Pink champagne cupcakes
Blueberry lemon beer cupcakes