Have your cake and eat it too! You don't have to betray your diet to indulge in Black Forest cake. These baked oatmeal cakes have all the flavor of your favorite dessert without the extra calories. They're so healthy you could eat them for breakfast all week.
Healthy, portable and sinfully delicious, these mini baked oatmeal cakes are guaranteed to get you out of your morning rut. Eat them on their own or top them with a dollop of Greek yogurt or a splash of skim milk.
Black Forest baked oatmeal
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup pitted cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, cocoa powder, chia seeds, vanilla extract, applesauce and skim milk. Stir the ingredients well to combine.
- Stir in fresh or frozen pitted cherries.
- Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide the oatmeal between six to eight muffin cups, filling each one to the top.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Brown the tops of the oatmeal cakes by broiling them for an additional three to five minutes.
Note: the oatmeal cakes are easily portable and can be eaten on their own. You can also top them with fresh fruit, yogurt or milk.
More healthy breakfast recipes
Healthy breakfast recipes for weight management
3 Tasty high-fiber breakfast recipes
Quick and healthy breakfast fruit recipes