When your Meatless Monday happens to fall on a holiday — especially one known for grilling burgers and dogs and other meaty dishes — you don't have to be left out! There are so many great meatless options to choose from. One yummy holiday favorite is deviled eggs. This recipe for jalapeño deviled eggs is fairly traditional, but adds jalapeños to perk things up!
The devil and those details
The jalapeños in this deviled eggs recipe can add some kick (if you keep the seeds in place), but mostly they enhance the eggs rather than overpower them. The celery provides added crunch and can help cool things down if you need it (keep some on hand to serve on a platter of its own)!
Take meals into your own hands
If you happen to be heading to a get-together for the Memorial Day holiday and you're worried you won't have many meal options, contact your host to ask if you can bring something. This will be a great opportunity for you to introduce delicious meatless foods to your friends. What a great way to share something healthy and new with your friends — all while sticking to your Meatless Monday commitment!
Jalapeño deviled eggs
Recipe courtesy of Grab a Plate
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (if you want your deviled eggs with more heat, leave the seeds in place)
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons pickled jalapeño juice (or white wine vinegar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- After the eggs have been cooked and cooled, cut them in half, lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks and add them to a small bowl.
- Mash the yolks with a fork. Add the jalapeño, celery, mayonnaise, mustard and pickled jalapeño juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mashed mixture back into the egg white halves.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
The summer holidays are so much fun! There are so many great, meatless options to help celebrate!
More Meatless Monday recipes to try
Assorted veggie and hummus rolls
Baked tuna and zucchini cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing