Pizza's always a great way to start the weekend. But instead of the same old pepperoni and sausage, why not lighten it up a little with some fresh arugula, garlic and green onions?
Over the past few months I've done quite a few pizza recipes. Part of the reason I've done so many is that not only is it a guaranteed hit with my toddler, it's a great (and easy) way to start the weekend. While my son does prefer his pizza with just cheese on top, he's willing, on occasion, to try things that are out of the box. So since it's spring, the weather has warmed up substantially and there are a lot of nice fresh vegetables and greens coming to our local farmers market, I thought I'd follow Food & Wine magazine's advice and try a meatless pizza. I made the pizza even lighter by using a garlic cream as my base instead of the standard Alfredo or tomato sauces, though I'm sure either of those choices would've have been delicious as well.
Garlic cream and arugula pizza
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (8 ounce) ball pizza dough
- 6 ounces buffalo mozzarella, chopped
- 6 ounces wild arugula
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and scallion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about five minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and cook for another five minutes, until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Stretch out the dough to a 12-inch diameter on a floured work surface and transfer to an oiled pizza pan.
- Spread the garlic cream onto the dough, leaving a half-inch border. Top with the mozzarella.
- Toss the arugula with olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mound the arugula on the pizza and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese bubbles. Garnish with the Parmesan, slice and serve.
Other arugula recipes
Apple, arugula and Gouda wraps
Chorizo pizza with arugula and caramelized onions
Fried mozzarella cheese with prosciutto and arugula salad