With Little Prep!
Summertime is when the livin's easy, and what is easier than a chilly, no-bake dessert? How about a no-bake dessert with a skinny spin? These three delicious recipes are a cinch to prepare, require no hot oven and are low in fat and calories! This is good news, last time I checked, guilt doesn't go with that new string bikini.
Creamy chocolate ice cream, light banana peanut butter milkshakes and a skinny frozen pumpkin pie make summer entertaining a breeze! Just be sure to have a cooler or fridge open so you can store these chilly desserts so they don't melt. Other than that, dig in and enjoy your sweets guilt-free!
Low-fat chocolate ice cream
Serves about 6
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Skinny peanut butter banana milkshakes
Serves about 2
- 1-1/2 large frozen ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3-1/2 cup low-fat whipped topping
- Add bananas, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, peanut butter and whipped topping to a blender. Blend on low until mixture is smooth. It should be thick, but if you want it to be a little thicker, add 1/2 cup light vanilla ice cream and blend.
Frozen pumpkin mousse pie
Recipe adapted from Eating Well
Serves about 8-10
- 1 low-fat, store-bought gingerbread or graham cracker crust
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- Mix canned pumpkin, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice together until fully combined. Add in ice cream and mix until well blended. Carefully spoon the mixture into the prepared crust and freeze until firm, about two hours. Before serving, let the pie soften in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Enjoy!
More summer dessert recipes
Luscious low-fat summer desserts
Fresh fruits for summer desserts
Simple summer desserts from Sandra Lee