The Epitome Of A Summer Dessert
Sweet and tangy fresh lemon and lime juices are what create the base flavor of this summer treat. Top these bars with fresh homemade whipped cream for a treat you will want to make year-round.
What does summer taste like? One bite of these summer citrus bars, and you'll agree they earned their name well. Fresh lemon and lime juices along with their zests are what create the citrus flavors in these scrumptious bars. Creamy, sweet and tart, serve them up as is or top them off with the optional homemade whipped cream.
Summer citrus bars with fresh whipped cream recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- Homemade whipped cream (recipe follows)
- Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with heavy foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- For crust, in large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and beat until combined. Beat in two cups of the flour until crumbly. Stir in one teaspoon of the lemon zest and one teaspoon of the lime zest. Evenly press on the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- For the filling, in medium bowl, combine eggs, granulated sugar, remaining one-half cup flour, lemon juice, baking powder and nutmeg. Beat on medium for two minutes. Stir in remaining lemon and lime zest.
- Pour the mixture over the hot crust and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for one hour on a cooling rack (leave in the pan). Move the pan to the refrigerator and allow to cool for an additional two to three hours.
- To serve, lift from the pan using the foil. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and cut into bars. Top with fresh whipped cream, if desired.
Homemade whipped cream
Yields 16 servings
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, add the heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks are forming.
- Add in the vanilla and sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
More dessert ideas
Cool summer desserts
12 Guiltless summer desserts
Simple summer desserts