Skip The Beef And Try These Recipes Instead!
With summer just around the corner, it's time to clean off that dusty Weber and get grilling! Nothing defines summer quite like a juicy ground beef burger or hot dog right off the grill, wouldn't you agree? These staples are great, but they can be so boring and overdone. This summer, wow your friends and family with some out-of-the-box grilled meals, like grilled tofu, cheesy portobellos or a burger made of lamb!
Break away from the ordinary and expand your palate this summer with these fabulous, unique and delicious grilled recipes, like the juicy portobello mushroom burger pictured. They may sound a bit weird, but trust me, they taste absolutely incredible!
Grilled portobello cheese"burger"
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
- 3 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 small slices fresh mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat buns
For the directions and more, check out the recipe here on SheKnows >>
Juicy lamb burger
Yields about 5 burgers
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 5 tablespoons feta cheese
- Whole wheat buns
- Tomatoes, lettuce and onions for garnish
- Spray a grill pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix lamb, onion, garlic cloves, oregano, salt, pepper, egg, Worcestershire sauce and breadcrumbs. (Use your hands to mix well). If mixture is still really sticky, add additional breadcrumbs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Once done, remove from fridge. Shape meat into five large patties.
- Preheat grill to 450-600 degrees F. Place burgers on a grill covered with nonstick cooking spray and cook five minutes on each side (for medium rare) or until a thermometer reads about 160 degrees F.
- Remove from grill, garnish with tomatoes, lettuce and mayo and enjoy!
Grilled barbecued tofu sandwich
Recipe adapted from Eating Well
Serves about 4
- 14 ounces of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-sugar barbecue sauce
- 1 cup prepared coleslaw
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Cut tofu into one-half-inch thick slabs. Place in a deep bowl and cover with barbecue sauce. Cover the dish and chill for at least three hours or overnight to marinate.
- Once marinated, preheat grill to 450-500 degrees F. Grease the grill pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place tofu slabs on the grill, brush with additional barbecue sauce and cook for five to six minutes on each side, or until firm.
- Remove from heat and place on bun. Garnish each with red onion, one-quarter cup coleslaw and salt and pepper and enjoy!
More grilling recipes
Mother's Day grilling menu
Grilled pizza recipes for summer
5 Quick and easy grilled recipes