Beans are usually reserved for dips and chilis. But mix them with some ground beef and top with sliced yams, and you have a delicious casserole the whole family will love.
Yams and beans seem to be two things my son will eat without any bribery at all. As a matter of fact, when it comes to beans, whether it be kidney, white or garbanzo, he can't help but search the beans out of every dish I make until there aren't any left. So when Parents Magazine suggested using several different types of beans and mixing them with ground beef and sweet potatoes, I knew this was a casserole that my toddler was going to eat by the fistful. And the best news is... I was right!
Sweet potato casserole
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, coat a 4-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together the beans, beef, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined.
- Layer one-third of the sweet potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half the bean and meat mixture and one-third of the cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining sweet potato slices. Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered for 20-30 more minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Other sweet potato recipes
Almond sweet potato balls
Creamy sweet potato bisque
Stuffed sweet potato