Udon Noodles Make Delicious Lettuce Cups
Tacos are a delicious dish that each person can prepare however they would like. But tacos aren't the only pick-your-own-adventure style dish out there. These lettuce cups allow you and the kiddies to do the same thing.
There's nothing better on a warm evening than a cold salad. That is unless you add noodles and put them in a lettuce cup. It's kind of like a cold Asian taco and just as good. The cool thing about these lettuce cups is, just like a taco, you can fill them with whatever you'd like. Then to make them a guaranteed kid favorite, follow Parenting magazine's suggestion and simply set up the dinner table like a buffet and let your children pick and choose whichever fillings they like. That way everyone gets a dinner they enjoy and the kiddies might even get some vegetables in their stomachs.
Chicken noodle lettuce cups
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 ounces udon noodles
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Sprinkle each chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a grill pan over high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Once done, transfer the breasts to a cutting board, brush each with honey, sprinkle with sesame seeds, shred and set aside.
- While the chicken cooks, cook the noodles according to the package directions and drain.
- Quarter the cucumber lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and thinly slice. Using a vegetable peeler, cut the carrot into ribbons.
- Place the cucumbers, carrots, bok choy, and noodles into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and soy sauce and toss to coat.
- Peel whole lettuce leaves off the head and wash.
- Place the leaves on one plate, the noodle salad in another bowl and the shredded chicken on another plate. Take the three plates to the table and let each person make their own cup.
Other noodle recipes
Chilled sesame peanut noodles
Peanut butter soba noodles