Blueberry and lemon-scented buttermilk pancakes recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- Zest of 2 small lemons
- 2 cups organic buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, plus extra for frying
- 1 cup fresh organic blueberries
- Pure maple syrup
- Whipped cream (optional)
- In a large bowl, sift together the first five ingredients.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter and beat until well incorporated.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. The mixture will be lumpy (be careful not to overmix). Overmixing makes the pancakes heavy and flat, not fluffy.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add some of the extra butter and allow it to melt.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the skillet, adding blueberries to each of the pancakes. Cook for two to three minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Top the pancakes with maple syrup or freshly whipped cream and powdered sugar.
More breakfast ideas
Cherry nut muffins
Walnut pear coffeecake
Strawberry lemonade banana smoothie