Some Original Recipes Your Mother Will Love!
This Mother's Day, instead of going out to an overpriced restaurant to celebrate your mom, whip her up an incredible brunch, complete with a delicious cocktail she can enjoy in bed. And who knows, maybe she'll be so happy you made her a lovely brunch she'll even share the Champagne!
What's great about these dishes is how unique they are. You can get an omelet and mimosa anywhere, so why not surprise your mom with beautiful Basque-style baked eggs, homemade olive oil cake and a frozen Bellini? Serve your mom food that's as unique and wonderful as she is this Mother's Day with this fabulous brunch menu!
Basque-style baked eggs
Recipe adapted from Food Republic
Serves about 4
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 4 medium size plum tomatoes, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup cooked ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place oil in a nonstick skillet. Chop the onions and peppers. Add vegetables to the skillet and bake for five minutes with a cover. Remove from oven and place on a burner set to medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes and cook until softened and most of the liquid has cooked out. Add in cooked pork and heat until just warmed. Add in Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Make six small wells in the vegetable mixture. Carefully crack eggs into a measuring cup (one at a time) and carefully pour into the wells, careful not to break the yolks.
- Place the skillet back in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until whites have set and yolks are a little runny. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Olive oil cornmeal cake
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers
Serves about 10
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 1 percent milk
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside. In another large bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk, light cream, eggs, olive oil and lemon juice until mixed. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Pour mixture into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool. Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.
- While cake cools, mix together strawberries, triple sec and lemon zest.
Banana peanut butter oatmeal muffins
Yields 12 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup 1 percent milk
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease 12 muffin cups or line tray with paper muffin liners.
- Combine flour, oats, 1/3 cup brown sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, cream, peanut butter, banana, egg, oil and vanilla. Once mixed, add in mashed banana. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture, stir well, but be careful not to over mix. Pour mixture into muffin pans, fill muffin cavities about 2/3 the way full.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Strawberry cream cheese
Yields about 2-1/2 cups
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- In a food processor, blend cream cheese, sugar and strawberries until smooth. Chill for at least an hour and then enjoy on toast, bagels or the banana strawberry muffins above!
Frozen watermelon Bellini
Recipe adapted from My Recipes
Yields 3 Bellinis
- 1-1/2 cups cubed watermelon, frozen
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups prosecco
- In a blender, blend watermelon, sugar, lemon juice and prosecco on low until smooth. Serve immediately in Champagne flutes or tall glasses.
More Mother's Day brunch ideas
Plan a Mother's Day brunch
Mother's Day brunch recipes
A royal Mother's Day brunch