Pizza doesn’t have to be the same old, same old (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but why not live a little? This is a great recipe when you’re hungry for something tried-and-true with a twist.
A taste of good nutrition
Raisins aren’t your standard pizza topping, but they make a nice change of pace paired with a few other goodies like those included in this recipe. But hold on: Not only are raisins tasty, they’re packed with nutritional value.
Check these raisin stats from Sun-Maid:
- Potassium, a key nutrient in raisins, may help reduce the risk of stroke, lower blood pressure, reduce risk of heart arrhythmias and prevent some types of kidney disease.
- Adding just three ounces of raisins daily to your diet may protect against some colon diseases.
- There is firm evidence that a high intake of fruits and vegetables reduces risk of cancer and heart disease, and that a low intake raises risk.
- Raisins are high in antioxidants. Recent evidence suggests diminished brain function associated with aging and disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases may be due to increased vulnerability to free radicals. Antioxidants help prevent cellular damage by preventing the formation of free radicals.
Just when you thought pizza couldn’t get any better for a Meatless Monday meal, consider this unique pizza recipe!
Zucchini ribbons and raisins pizza
Recipe courtesy of Sun-Maid
- 1 (12-inch) prebaked pizza crust (or two 8-inch crusts)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup (or about 4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese or soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins or Natural Raisins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic and lemon zest in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler along the length of the zucchini to make thin "ribbons." Mix zucchini ribbons thoroughly with the olive oil mixture.
- Either crumble the feta or spread the goat cheese evenly over the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle the raisins evenly over the cheese. Add the zucchini ribbons evenly on top of the pizza, lightly folding and mounding them.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Bake the pizza either on the oven rack directly or on a baking sheet for 15-18 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
There is a lot of praise going around for this pizza!
Try these meatless recipes
Avocado egg salad recipe
Pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans)
Mediterranean-style meatless meals