Ready for a gluten-free breakfast dish to swoon over? Give this tasty recipe for banana, honey and cream cheese Monte Cristo sandwiches a try!
This isn't your standard Monte Cristo sandwich, but it will make your mouth water!
Start your day with a simple and sensational breakfast treat. This gluten-free recipe is a cinch to put together, doesn’t require any ingredients that are out-of-the-ordinary and is perfect for a festive brunch or a family treat. Use gluten-free cinnamon-raisin bread for an added delight.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Banana, honey and cream cheese Monte Cristo sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Easy Eats magazine
- 8 slices gluten-free bread (cinnamon-raisin gluten-free bread tastes great for this recipe)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced and slightly mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the cream cheese, lemon zest, salt and honey in a medium-sized bowl. Use a separate, shallow bowl and whisk together the eggs, milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- On one bread slice, spread the cream cheese mixture about 1/4-inch thick. Top it with about 1/4 of the banana mixture, then another slice of bread. Lightly press them together. Repeat with the remaining bread slices and fillings.
- Add the butter to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dredge the sandwiches in the egg mixture, making sure to get both sides soaked.
- Cook the sandwiches in the skillet, turning them once, for about four minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- Cut them in half diagonally and garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if you’re using it.
This could become a favorite breakfast dish in your household!
More gluten-free breakfasts to try
Gluten-free sandwich bread
Gluten-free pancakes and berry compote
Gluten-free quinoa granola