Mom's day off!
At most restaurants, Mother’s Day is one of the busiest days of the year. Why not stay in and forget about the restaurants this year and try whipping up some easy and delicious homecooked dishes.
Red wine roasted chicken
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 (3-4 pound) chicken
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. In a roasting pan, toss together olive oil, mushrooms, potatoes, garlic and thyme. Place a wire rack on top of the vegetables.
- Place chicken in the pan. Rub olive oil over the skin. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining salt into the chicken cavity.
- Roast the chicken for 20 minutes. Add one cup of water to the pan and roast for about 40 minutes longer. Use a spatula to loosen the chicken, and then transfer to a cutting board. Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- Place the pan containing the vegetables and drippings over medium heat. Add red wine and cook, stirring until sauce reduces slightly, about six to eight minutes. Remove from heat, and then spoon the red wine sauce over the carved chicken.
Bruschetta with whole wheat bread and goat cheese
Makes 4 servings
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Honey, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper, or to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together goat cheese, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Spread toasted bread with goat cheese, and then drizzle honey over top and serve.
Strawberry crumble bars
Makes about 24 bars
For crumble topping:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 stick butter, cold
- 1 cup coconut oil, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For strawberry filling:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- For the crumble: In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, flour and baking powder on low. Add salt and lemon juice and mix until combined. Slowly add in the butter and coconut oil, then egg and mix on medium-low until the crumble resembles coarse cornmeal. Pat half of dough into the pan. Reserve the other half for later.
- For the strawberry filling: In a bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the diced strawberries. Spoon the strawberry mixture evenly over the bottom crust. With your hands, crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until top is golden brown. Cool and then transfer to the fridge to chill. After chilled, cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
More Mother's Day recipes
Pasta salad with black-eyed peas and corn recipe
Spaghetti squash spaghetti dinner recipe
Low-fat veggie and cheddar cheese frittata recipe