Whether you need an idea to use up leftover hard-boiled eggs or you’re just in the mood for a great, hearty sandwich, try this avocado egg salad recipe. It fits either bill and is a good Meatless Monday dish.
A good egg (salad)
A tiny bit out of the ordinary, this egg salad recipe is tasty, creamy and crunchy. The added crunch and color come from seasonal radishes, the creaminess is from the avocado that replaces much of the mayo usually found in egg salad and the lemon zest adds a bit of sunshine to this recipe. Avocado egg salad is also a great option as a Meatless Monday meal.
Options are good
Whether you need to put leftover Easter eggs to good use or you're just looking for a delicious sandwich, avocado egg salad is a good option! You could also leave out the bread and pair the salad with some leafy greens and a handful of your favorite fresh vegetables.
Going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel. Read more about the benefits of eliminating meat from your meals, even one day a week.
Avocado egg salad recipe
Recipe courtesy of Grab a Plate
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chilled and peeled
- 1-2 avocados cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 radishes, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- Hard boil six eggs. Once cooled, peel them and separate the yolks from the whites. Dice the whites into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, avocado and low-fat mayonnaise. Note: If you use two avocados, use one tablespoon of mayo, and if you use one avocado, go with two tablespoons of mayo) and mash everything together with a fork or potato masher until combined and smooth (some people like to leave a few chunks).
- Mix in the lemon juice, zest, parsley, radishes, green onion and salt and pepper to the mixture. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Gently fold in the diced egg whites and combine.
- Chill until ready to use. Serve on sandwich bread or on lettuce leaves with your favorite fresh veggies.
Whether you’re using up leftovers or looking for a new meal, avocado egg salad is great!
More Meatless Monday meals to try
Sun-dried tomato frittata
Orecchiette pasta with broccoli rabe
Black bean veggie burgers with corn salsa