Leftover Easter Eggs? Try This Potato Salad!
You hid dozens of eggs for the kids and now they’ve all been found (hopefully). After the Easter egg hunts are over, what do you do with all those hard-boiled eggs?
Use up leftover Easter eggs with this twist on a classic deli salad. Served warm and given a huge flavor boost with fresh herbs, leeks and shallots, this potato salad recipe is not your standard picnic fare. If goopy potato salad with extra mayonnaise turns you off, try this vinaigrette-based version instead.
Warm potato salad recipe with herb vinaigrette
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and cut into large cubes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra for boiling potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups chopped leeks
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a large bowl, whisk together four tablespoons olive oil, white wine vinegar, cream, Dijon mustard, thyme, salt, pepper and sugar. Reserve.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, generously salt water. Stir occasionally until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes, depending on size. When potatoes are cooked, drain and immediately add into bowl with vinaigrette. Fold potatoes in gently.
- Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan. Sauté leeks and shallots until soft and beginning to brown. Add yellow peppers and garlic. Cook for about two more minutes until peppers are just starting to soften. Add leek mixture and hard-boiled eggs to bowl with potatoes and fold in gently.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature to allow potatoes to soak up vinaigrette. Stir and check for seasonings. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Just before serving, stir in basil and chives.
More ideas for leftover Easter eggs
Deviled crab-filled eggs recipe
Easter egg salad recipes
Deviled egg and herb bruschetta recipe