I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream! Surprise family and guests this year with some not-so-traditional ice cream desserts. These five recipes will please any palate.
Creamy coffee ice cream brandy smoothie dessert
It’s a beverage. It’s a dessert. It’s ice cream. It’s Creamy Coffee Ice Cream Brandy Smoothie Dessert. Sounds complicated, but this three-ingredient recipe serves 4 in a jiffy.
- 2 pints (about 4-1/2 cups) coffee ice cream, softened but not melted
- 1/2 cup brandy
- Shaved semisweet chocolate for garnish
- In a blender, combine the ice cream and brandy.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Pour into cold glasses.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate.
- Drink up!
Cake batter ice cream
How many times have you heard, “Hey Mom… can I lick the bowl?” No need to fight over the batter when you’ve converted it to ice cream. This recipe creates 10 delectable 1/2-cup servings.
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of your favorite cake mix
- Place the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker into the freezer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and add vanilla to taste.
- Stir in the cake mix until any lumps disappear.
- Pour the mixture into the cold ice cream maker bowl and mix until thickened (about 30 minutes).
- Place the ice cream mixture into a separate container and return it to the freezer to harden.
Rachael Ray's tortoni
Tortoni is a classic ice cream recipe featuring maraschino cherries and, in Rachael Ray’s case, chocolate chips and coconut cookies! One of Rachael’s earliest recipes, this serves 6.
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened but not melted
- 10 coconut cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, plus 6 more whole cherries for garnish
- Chocolate syrup
- 2 ounces salted nut topping
- Mix together the softened vanilla ice cream, crushed coconut cookies, semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
- Refreeze for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, scoop the ice cream into 6 serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with chocolate syrup and some nut topping.
- Garnish each with a whole cherry and serve.
Banana ice cream
What a great way to utilize those bananas that are just a bit too ripe to eat. Enjoy this frozen treat without an ounce of guilt. This recipe serves 2, so you’ll want to double up!
- 2 ripe peeled bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of milk or fruit juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the frozen bananas into a food processor and puree.
- Add the vanilla extract and a few spoonfuls of milk or juice to create a soft-serve texture.
- Serve like ice cream: in a cone, in a parfait glass layered with strawberries, or as a sundae with chocolate syrup.
- Change up the flavor by adding other frozen fruits when you puree.
Ice cream sandwich dessert
Please a crowd with this Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert that serves 15. Don’t need that many servings? This dessert can be frozen for up to two months. And unlike an ice cream sandwich, you can eat it with a spoon -- no melted ice cream dripping down your wrist!
- 19 ice cream sandwiches
- 12 ounces (1 container) whipped topping, thawed
- 1 jar (11-3/4 ounces) chocolate fudge topping
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Cut one ice cream sandwich in half.
- Place one whole and one half sandwich along the short side of an ungreased 13x9-inch pan.
- Arrange 8 sandwiches in opposite directions in the pan.
- Spread with half of the whipped topping.
- Spoon fudge topping by teaspoonfuls onto the whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with 1/2-cup of the peanuts.
- Repeat layers until the pan is full.
- Cover and freeze.
- Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and serve.
More delectable ice cream desserts
Layered ice cream dessert
Luscious low-fat summer desserts
5 Fun (and simple!) dessert ideas for families