With April Fools' Day right around the corner, it's time to start brainstorming some fun pranks for your family and friends! And what better place to trick them than in the kitchen?
April Fools' Day isn't just for grade school or mischievous husbands! Have some fun yourself this year by pranking your family, friends and colleagues with these tricky treats!
Candy sushi recipe
Turn the lights down low, pour a few glasses of wine and serve your hunny this sweet sushi for a funny prank on your traditional date night! He'll be expecting rice and fish but will taste gummy candy and rice cereal instead! Plus, this is probably the only way you'll get your kids to even think about sushi!
Yields 5 logs
Recipe adapted from Family Fun.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal (brown)
- 20 different colored gummy worms
- 1 box green fruit leather
- Grease a 12 x 17-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place butter in a microwave-safe dish and melt for about 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir in marshmallows until sticky and smooth. Add in rice cereal and mix until evenly coated.
- Press the marshmallow mixture into the baking pan until the pan is covered.
- Place gummy worms over the mixture, end to end, in a horizontal straight line. Carefully roll the lower edge of the marshmallow mixture over the gummy worms. Stop and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture. Repeat until four more logs are finished.
- Slice each log into 1-inch thick "sushi" rolls and wrap them individually with a strip of green fruit leather (to look like seaweed).
Fake french fries recipe
What goes better with hamburgers than fries? Except these aren't the salty kind you can get from the drive-thru! These "french fries" are made from sweet sugar cookie dough, dusted with sugar and are paired with a sweet strawberry jam dipping sauce.
Yields about 24 french fries
- Sugar cookie dough (use this recipe)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Strawberry jam (seedless)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out dough to about 1/4- to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a knife, cut out french fry shapes (about 1/4-inch thick rectangles). Sprinkle the tops with sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for eight to 15 minutes, or until fries are golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely. Pair with a dab of jelly and enjoy!
Juicy hamburger cake recipe
Instead of one big cake, make a few smaller hamburger cakes to trick your whole family at the dinner table! Simply place a juicy burger on their plate with some faux french fries (recipe above) and hold in your laughter as they take a bite expecting a burger and are met with a super sweet cake instead!
Yields 1 large cake, or about 3 smaller cakes
- 1 (18 ounce) box vanilla cake mix
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- About 8 yellow gumdrop candies
- 1/3 cup buttercream frosting, divided into 3 bowls
- About 6 leaf shaped spearmint gumdrops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cake mixes as instructed by the boxes and pour both into round cake pans sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Place them side by side in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let chill completely before you handle.
- While cake cools, prepare toppings. To make mustard and ketchup, divide classic buttercream into three shallow bowls. Tint one with yellow food coloring until you get a deep mustard color and tint the other with the red until you get a deep red. Leave one white. Set aside.
- Using a large circle cookie cutter, cut out about six "buns" from the vanilla cake, and set aside. Cut out three (or six to make double hamburgers) burger patties from the chocolate cake mix. Set aside.
- To make the cheese, set yellow gumdrops on a plate and microwave on high for 10 to 15 seconds, or until soft. Using your hands or a knife, flatten gumdrops down. Repeat this process with the spearmint leaves and roll them out until they are about 1/8-inch thick.
- To add "seeds" to the top of the bun, lightly press down slivered almonds into the top.
- To assemble, place a patty (chocolate cake) on top of three of the bottom buns (vanilla cake). Top the patty with the melted cheese (gumdrops). Add mustard, ketchup or mayo (white buttercream) to the top of the cheese (enough so it oozes down the side). Place spearmint leaves on top and top with seeded bun. Enjoy!
This prank is for those who are looking to not only surprise their family or friends, but scare them too! These bloody severed fingers are the perfect way to spook anyone in your life. Place them underneath a napkin at the dinner table, put one on your husband's seat in the car or in his briefcase, stick one on top of your child's pillow before bed or on top of your boss' keyboard! These lifelike fingers are so realistic, it's almost gruesome! Get the recipe for these devilish cookies here!
You're never too old to have fun so get to pranking!
More April Fools' Day pranks
6 April Fools' Day pranks and tricks for kids
Best April Fools' pranks
Best April Fools' Day pranks for kids