Mushrooms And Cheese Make A Great Stuffing
Chicken cutlets are delicious on their own, but wrapping them around a stuffing makes this recipe even tastier.
I love chicken because it's so versatile. You can roast it, fry it, braise it -- the options are endless. But one of my favorite options is stuffing a cutlet. You can stuff it with anything you want from vegetables to bread to cheese, once again the options are endless. So when Parents Magazine suggested stuffing the cutlet with mushrooms and Parmesan cheese, I jumped on board. But while they suggested making the chicken in the slow cooker, I prefer searing and roasting my stuffed poultry. It turned out amazing and proved once again just how versatile chicken can be.
Mushroom stuffed chicken recipe
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pulse the onions, mushrooms and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer the onion mixture to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat with the thyme until softened, about four minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs and cheese and divide into four equal parts.
- Season each chicken cutlet with salt and pepper. Place a portion of the mushroom stuffing in the center of each chicken breast and roll into a tight cylinder. Secure with toothpicks and set aside. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Place the stuffed breasts in the pan seam side down and sear until all sides are golden brown, about three minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through. Serve immediately with rice pilaf.
Other mushroom recipes
Baked cauliflower and mushrooms
Baked onion-mushroom steak