Beer Isn't Just For Drinking
Many people love to drink beer on St. Patrick's Day, but this year why not celebrate the luck of the Irish by cooking with beer as well? Delicious in everything from dessert to stew recipes, you'll have everyone asking what your secret ingredient is.
There are plenty of popular recipes that call for beer. Think about beer-battered onion rings, Guinness bread, Belgian beef carbonade and many chili recipes. The hoppy, malty flavor of beer – particularly dark brews like stouts – brings depth of flavor to many dishes and pairs particularly well with beef, yeast and chocolate. Try an Irish stout like Guinness or Murphy's in this hearty Irish beef stew recipe.
Irish beef stew recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds stew beef, cubed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Irish stout (like Guinness or Murphy's)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 ounces sweet potatoes (about 1 large or 2 small), roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 small turnips or black radishes, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Toss the beef cubes in the flour so fully coated.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in the beer and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, and then lower the heat and cook, covered, for about two hours.
- Add the potatoes and turnips and allow to simmer for 1/2 hour, uncovered.
- Add the carrots and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the meat is very tender and the carrots are softened.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. The flavors only get better over time. The stew also freezes well.
- Serve with Irish stout or another dark beer.
More recipes for cooking with beer
Chicken roasted in beer recipe
Cottage fries with beer cheese recipe
Tonight's Dinner: Beer cheese soup recipe