When spring fever hits, don't call the doctor -- just add a dose of family fun and a great meal to get everyone ready for the warm weather! While spring cleaning might not sound like fun, it's a traditional start to welcome in the new season. If you include the whole family in the effort and add a little interest to things, you might be surprised at the fun you'll have (and tidying up you'll accomplish)!
Tips to make spring cleaning more fun
- Take some time. Don't try to do everything in one day. Instead, pick one or two tasks you'd like to accomplish. The family won't feel pressure to finish a lot of work in a little time, and that can mean a better effort from all!
- Turn up the tunes! When you've got upbeat, fun music to clean to, it can help take the "bore" out of "chore." Pick songs to play that everyone will love.
- Play a game. Add a little friendly competition to your cleaning! See who can gather the most loose change, the largest pile of clothes to donate or magazines to recycle. Plan ahead and have a few prizes to give out to the winners.
- Reward the gang. When cleaning time has come to an end, be sure to spend time together over dinner, with a special dessert to follow for all the hard work you accomplished!
A nice, springtime sandwich for dinner will keep hope alive that the warmer weather is just around the corner! Quick avocado sandwich wraps are easy, tasty and a great way to put some springtime in your dinner!
Quick avocado sandwich wrap recipe
Recipe courtesy of the California Avocado Commission
- 4 fajita size fat-free flour tortillas
- 2 slices ripe, California avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed
- 4 slices turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons prepared barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 thin slices low-fat mozzarella or American cheese, divided
- 2 large carrots (1 cup) peeled and coarsely shredded, divided
- Add two teaspoons of mashed avocado to each tortilla and spread it to the outer edge (about one inch from the edge).
- Add one slice of turkey breast over the avocado spread.
- Add one slice of cheese; then spread on about 1/2 teaspoon of barbecue sauce.
- Add about 1/4 of the shredded carrot to the top of the barbecue sauce.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly and put the seam side down on the plate.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the roll in half.
- Serve with a fresh salad or a side of baked beans.
Springtime means spring cleaning. Have fun with it, and then enjoy family time with a great spring-inspired sandwich for dinner!
More Sunday Dinner meals
Soba noodle stir-fry
Crock pot chicken and dumplings
Mediterranean tuna salad in radicchio bowls