Get Creative With Cauliflower
Think cauliflower is bland? Think again. This unassuming vegetable is low in fat and carbs, while offering big boosts of vitamin C, folate and iron. Look for firm heads with compact florets and green, crisp leaves.
Cream of cauliflower soup recipe
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 head cauliflower, cored
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and sweat. Add garlic and cauliflower. Stir to coat in butter, and add salt to taste. Add milk, stock and bay leaf, and simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and puree the mixture until smooth using a blender or immersion blender. Finish the soup with cream until desired consistency is reached. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
Pickled cauliflower recipe
Makes 3 cups
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 head cauliflower floret, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, peppercorns, garlic and shallot. Bring to boiling, reduce to a simmer. Add cauliflower, and cook three minutes.
- Strain mixture, reserving liquid. Refrigerate pickling liquid and cauliflower separately in refrigerator one hour. Combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
Roasted cauliflower recipe
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 head cauliflower, floret removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the oil, garlic, salt and nutmeg; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs until moist.
- In a large baking dish, toss together remaining oil and cauliflower. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over cauliflower. Place pan in oven. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender and breadcrumbs toasted.
- Remove pan from oven; let stand five minutes before serving.
More cauliflower recipes
Sauteed cauliflower with olives and orange zest
Cauliflower lemon salad