On Feb. 28, 2012, stop by International House of Pancakes to enjoy a free short stack. IHOP's National Pancake Day Celebration has been an annual tradition since 2006. In return for your complimentary plate of pancakes, IHOP asks that you consider leaving a donation for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.
This charity raises funds for 170 children's hospitals across North America, and it does so $1 at a time. By dining at IHOP and leaving a dollar (or more) for your complimentary short stack, you're actually helping children who need it most. Win-win!
IHOP hopes to raise $2.7 million for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals this year. In 2011, IHOP's goal was $2.3 million.
If you're not certain where to find the nearest IHOP, check the website for restaurant locations.
IHOP Short Stack
Watching your calories? Plan to work the short stack into your daily totals. Following is the nutritional information for a short stack from IHOP:
- Calories: 490
- Carbs: 69 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Protein: 13 grams
Pancake tips for National Pancake Week
Did you know that IHOP's International Pancake Day Celebration follows National Pancake Week -- February 20-25, 2012? In honor of the occasion, check out our tips for making the perfect pancakes.
- Don't mix the batter too much. Over-mixing the batter results in "tough" pancakes.
- Find the perfect batter consistency. Pancake batter should be neither too thick nor too thin. The correct consistency batter will coat the back of a spoon without running off.
- Set the correct griddle temp. You want the griddle temp just right -- not too hot and not too cold. You'll know you have it when a few drops of water placed on the griddle sizzle.
- Size matters. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of batter for each pancake, and use a ladle to pour it.
- Timing is everything. Don't lift the pancake off the griddle until it's time to flip it. You'll know it's time when air bubbles surface. Once you flip, the other side needs to cook for only one to two minutes.
- Serve them hot. Pancakes taste best warm, so serve them right away!
Up next: Pancake recipes >>