Salads can be difficult to eat on-the-go, but it gets a lot easier if you put them in a pita pocket. Cut your veggies up the night before to cut back on your prep time in the morning. If you want a little extra protein, add tuna or hard-boiled eggs to these basic ingredients. Pack any dressing separately and add it just before you eat to keep your pita from getting soggy.
- 1-1/2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated cheese, any type
- Grated carrots, chopped apples, raisins, almonds or any other salad topping you love
- 1 pita, cut in half and opened
- 1/3 cup of your favorite dressing, placed in a portable container
- Mix lettuce and all salad toppings (except any dressing) in a medium bowl.
- Stuff pita shells with salad and wrap in plastic or foil.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat. Drizzle open end with dressing just before eating.
Complete as many steps as you can the night before to make your mornings quick. Cut up veggies, mix dressings and do more ahead of time.
Tuscan tuna roll-up
This twist on standard tuna salad adds beans for an extra punch of fiber and protein to keep you full until dinner. Make it ahead and store it for up to three days in the fridge. Eat it wrapped in a tortilla for easy serving and portability -- the lettuce placed between the salad and the wrap keeps the shell from getting soggy.
- 12 ounces chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tortilla shells
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, beans, tomatoes, onions, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, lay out a tortilla shell and cover the shell in lettuce. Spread one cup of the tuna salad on top of the lettuce, and then wrap it up.
- Cover in lettuce and chill for up to eight hours, until ready to serve.
This easy roll-up adds a southwestern kick to an easy lunch. Make it the night before -- all you have to do in the morning is slice and go!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
- 4 tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheddar or Mexican cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and salsa. Spread over tortillas.
- Top cream cheese mixture with cheese.
- Sprinkle chili powder over cheese.
- Roll tortillas tightly. Do not fold in bottoms of shells. Wrap each tortilla tightly in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice a tortilla into bite-sized pieces and refrigerate until ready to eat.
More quick lunch recipes
Fast, healthy lunch and midday snack tips
Quick and easy tips for packing a healthy lunch
Timesaving tips for on-the-go lunches