Valentine's Day is around the corner and all of February is American Heart Month -- the month people are reminded to pay attention to healthy habits for good heart health. That includes eating heart-smart foods.
Sunday dinner is a great time to celebrate Valentine's Day and American Heart Month with your family by eating heart-healthy foods like Mediterranean tuna salad in radicchio bowls. This dish is not only heart healthy (beans for protein, tuna for its omega-3 fatty acids and the veggies for fiber), but the edible bowl -- scarlet radicchio leaves -- makes it festive and fun!
Talk with your family about the importance of good heart health through good nutrition, keeping physically active, managing your weight and stress and not smoking (or quitting). Check out the American Heart Association for more information.
After dinner, take a brisk walk together, gather round to make a family Valentine card to send to loved ones or even make some Valentine's Day dog treats for your furry family member!
Mediterranean tuna salad in radicchio bowls recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed well and drained
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tuna packed in water and lightly flaked
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced plus 1/2 cup celery leaves from inner heart as garnish
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1-1/2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 small radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 small cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup whole flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Coarse sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head of radicchio lettuce, 4 outer leaves washed and reserved for serving (save the rest for salad the next day)
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, tuna, celery and onion, and toss.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Toss in the radishes and cucumber, and toss again to combine.
- Serve the salad in radicchio bowls, garnished with the celery and parsley leaves.
February is a great month to remind your family about good heart health. Eating healthy food like Mediterranean tuna salad in radicchio bowls is a good start!
More Sunday Dinner meals
Baked shells with winter squash
Soba noodle stir-fry