Whether you're gathered with the family watching a basketball game or sipping wine and visiting with friends, these gluten-free soft pretzels will hit the spot during snack time!
When you have a food allergy or sensitivity, you can sometimes find yourself missing some of the foods you once loved. This soft pretzel recipe will allow you to enjoy snack time! It calls for several ingredients, but if you enjoy gluten-free baked goods, you'll probably use them often.
Serve these pretzels with gluten-free spicy or honey mustard, or even with a melted cheese dip.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
This recipe is from Celiac.com.
Salted soft pretzels recipe
- 2 packages active dry yeast
1-1/2 cups hot water
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water
1 cup real butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sea salt or kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- Waxed or parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, hot water, brown sugar and the dash of salt. Allow the mixture to rest for about five minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch and xanthan gum. Add half of this mixture into the yeast mixture.
- Using an electric mixer on a low speed, blend all the ingredients together until mixed. Combine the remaining flour mixture. Blend until combined, but try not to over mix.
- Use the vegetable oil to lightly coat a bowl. Transfer the dough to the coated bowl and rub a bit of oil all around the dough. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 550 degrees F.
- In a small, shallow bowl, mix the baking soda with 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces and lay out a sheet of waxed or parchment paper. Use your hands to roll each piece of dough into a rope. The dough will be fragile. If it falls apart, gently piece it back together.
- Shape the rope into a pretzel. If the dough of the pretzel feels dry, use a few drops of the water/baking soda mixture to moisten it.
- Gently dip each pretzel into the water/baking soda mixture; then place them on a lightly coated baking sheet.
- Bake for about seven minutes until the pretzels are lightly tanned (not brown).
- Use a pastry brush to gently brush the butter on each pretzel. Sprinkle with the salt and serve immediately.
These soft pretzels might be a new favorite snack!
More gluten-free recipes to try
Change up your chicken soup
Festive fruit and nut rice