Add Some Spice
To Your Life!
When February rolls around, hearts start thumping in anticipation of Valentine’s Day! Are you prepping for a romantic meal? If you can hold off on the chocolate for long enough, start with this spicy beet soup recipe. It’s not only a tasty, meatless dish, but its crimson color is gorgeous -- the perfect color for the festivities!
Beets are available year-round, and this root vegetable is great for heart health -- how romantic! Not only do the roots of this veggie offer antioxidants that have been found to lower cholesterol levels and help prevent heart disease and stroke, but the greens of this vegetable do too. Check out these SheKnows recipes for dark leafy greens.
According to Meatless Monday, going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It can also help reduce your carbon footprint and save precious resources like fresh water and fossil fuel.
When you're prepping for your Valentine's Day meal, consider this spicy beet soup recipe. It's a healthy dish that can keep your ticker going. Now that's pretty romantic!
Spicy beet soup recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound raw beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Dill sprigs for garnish
- Over medium-high heat, in a large sauté pan, add the butter, vegetable oil and three tablespoons of the stock or water. Add vegetables and apple. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin seeds to the mixture and allow them to cook for about a minute; then add the rest of the stock or water, thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Allow the mixture to boil. Cover it, and then allow it to simmer for about half an hour. Strain the vegetables from the mixture and reserve the liquid. Puree or blend the vegetables until they're smooth and creamy.
- Put the vegetables back in the pan and add the remaining stock. Reheat the liquid. Season it to taste and serve with a teaspoon of sour cream added to each individual bowl of soup. Garnish with the dill sprigs.
Spicy beet soup is good for your heart -- in more ways than one! With its crimson color, healthy qualities and lovely flavor, your heart will be thumping over this Valentine's Day dish!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Meatless Monday Mediterranean style