Nothing says I love you more than feeding your valentine a dessert that won't stick to their gut! Plus, the less bloated you are, the more fun Valentine's Day night is! And with two sweet treats to choose from, red vanilla with light cream cheese icing or zesty lemon with raspberry cream cheese icing, you're sure to satisfy even the pickiest of valentines!
Mini heart-shaped whoopie pie recipe
Yields about 24
For the cake:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Additional ingredient for the red cakes:
- 4 drops red food coloring
Additional ingredient for the lemon cakes:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
For the light cream cheese icing:
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional ingredient for the raspberry:
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a mini heart cake pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, applesauce and sugars together with a handheld mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until mixed. Add yolks, one at a time, and beat until mixed.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add one cup of flour to the butter mixture, and then alternate with 1/2 cup buttermilk and repeat until ingredients are gone, but ending with the flour mixture.
- Separate batter in half and place in two separate bowls. In one bowl, add four drips of the red food coloring and mix well to create a pinky, reddish color. In the second bowl, add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour batter (either) into the heart cavities, filling only about 2/3 way full. Bake for at least 16 minutes or until cakes are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let cakes cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set on a nonstick sheet. Chill for at least 30 minutes to harden cakes up.
- While cakes are hardening, make cream cheese icing. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together until creamy. Separate icing into two separate bowls. In one bowl, add raspberry preserves and mix until combined. (Icing will be a purple color.)
- Once cakes have cooled, remove from fridge. Using a sharp NON serrated knife, cut each cake in half. Spread the raspberry icing on one half of the lemon cakes. Carefully place the second half on top of the icing and immediately put back in refrigerator to chill. Spread the regular cream cheese icing on one half of the red cake and place other half on top. Repeat until all cakes are assembled and chilled.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
More Valentine's-inspired recipes
Healthy Valentine's treats
How to make edible lingerie
3 Easy Valentine's Day treats