Savory Boosts For Bland Chicken
When it comes to healthy protein choices, chicken is one of the best. It's naturally very lean and is filled with healthy proteins. However, chicken on its own is quite bland and there are only so many nights a week one can eat plain grilled chicken with vegetables. If you want the health boosts of chicken but crave more flavor, check out these three delectable chicken recipes, all healthy and loaded with spices and sauces!
What makes these meals so good is not only the taste, but the ease factor. Each of these chicken recipes takes little time to prep and can be made up to two days in advance! With dishes like this, why would you ever eat a boring ol' chicken breast again?
Shredded chicken ragu recipe
Adapted from Weight Watchers
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups pasta
- Combine tomatoes, onion, herbs, garlic and chicken in a slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is very tender, about four hours on low. Remove chicken from crock pot and shred in a medium bowl with forks. Add shredded chicken back to mixture, along with pasta and stir well. Let sit for at least another 20 minutes so chicken absorbs flavor. Serve with sprinkled cheese.
Creamy chicken with asparagus recipe
Serves about 4
- 2 (6 ounce) chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 8 asparagus spears, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 can (about 12 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook onions and mushrooms until soft and caramelized, about five to six minutes. Add asparagus and cook until slightly softened, about four more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In the same pan, add chicken and heat until fully cooked and browned (about 10 minutes). Remove and let cool slightly. Then chop chicken into small bite size pieces. Add chicken and veggie mixture and heat for a few minutes.
- Add in wine, sour cream, cream of chicken soup and salt and pepper. Heat until a sauce forms and thickens. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or on its own.
Buffalo chicken panini recipe
Makes about 4 paninis
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (like Frank's red hot)
- 2 (5 ounce) chicken breasts, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 tablespoons mayo
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- Place chicken in a bowl and pour sauce over. Let marinate in the sauce overnight.
- The next day, remove chicken from marinade and grill until fully cooked, about five minutes.
- Combine blue cheese and mayo together. Spread cheese over four pieces of bread. Add chicken on the other four slices of bread. Put the cheese and chicken bread slices together and place on a panini press.
- Press down and cook on high for at least three minutes on each side until cheese is melted and panini is done. Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy!
More chicken recipes
Tonight's Dinner: Chicken chow mein recipe
How to make chicken stock
Tonight's Dinner: Baked chicken Parmesan recipe