Hearty Breads Perfect For People On The Go
Even though breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's the most commonly skipped meal in the U.S. Why? People don't have time to sit around the table to eat and read the newspaper anymore! However, not all breakfasts require a fork or plate. These delicious and healthy grab and go loaves, which can be made up to three days ahead, are a great way to get your morning nutrition and still make that 9 a.m. meeting!
Lemon blueberry loaf recipe
- 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/4 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Grate the lemon into a bowl to gather the zest. Set 1/3 zest aside. After you're done grating, cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice out, setting aside 1/3 cup. Prepare the topping by whisking together the lemon juice and zest with the powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, the remaining lemon zest and remaining lemon juice. Stir in the milk and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and sea salt. Gradually add to the wet mixture and mix until fully combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for at least 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooled, spread the prepared topping on loaf and enjoy!
Whole wheat peanut butter bread recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (creamy)
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5-inch) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add peanut butter and milk and stir until just combined. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes. Enjoy with jam!
Cinnamon almond loaf recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, soft
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with a handheld mixer until combined. Slowly add in each egg, mixing between. Stir in vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add half mixture to the butter mixture. Add 1/2 cup milk. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour and remaining 1/2 cup milk, stirring to make sure it's all combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle brown sugar/cinnamon over the batter. Pour remaining half over the brown sugar. Sprinkle almonds on top and bake for at least 45 minutes, or until a toothpick entered comes out clean.
More easy breakfast ideas
Simple school day breakfasts
Very easy breakfast quiche recipe
Easy skillet breakfast pizza